This Breakfast Quesadilla with Chipotle Sour Cream is just what you need the morning after a really good party – or any morning when you want a cheesy, spicy, Tex-Mex brunch.
CLICK HERE TO JUMP STRAIGHT TO THE RECIPE
Okay okay…you have your New Year’s Eve plans sorted out. You got the apps, dinner, and drinks (champagne, duh) on lock. You think you’re ready to go.
BUT…do you know what you’re eating the morning after??
Aha! That’s where we can help. This Breakfast Quesadilla is the answer to your bottle-poppin’ prayers, bringing together your favorite brunchy, cheesy, slightly-spicy flavors into one dish you can eat with your hands. You know, in case that fork is too loud clattering against your plate.
Even better news: the Breakfast Quesadilla is infinitely customizable. Discover a sudden loathing for sour cream? Leave it off. Do you NEED TO HAVE GUAC NOW???!!!! Load it on.
The filling comes together in a few short minutes – perfect for a morning when you don’t have much patience in getting food to your mouth. It consists of some Tex-Mex seasoned scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, and of course, delicious melty cheese. I like to use Oaxaca cheese, because it melts into the most perfect, stretchy puddle imaginable, but you could also use Monterrey Jack, Colby, or even your favorite cheddar. If you want the stretch of Oaxaca but can’t find it in your store, you could add a bit of shredded mozzarella to your Breakfast Quesadilla.
To top off the Breakfast Quesadilla, I added a spicy Chipotle Sour Cream, which is just a quick blend of sour cream and adobo sauce. If you’re not familiar with adobo sauce, you can get it from canned chipotles in adobo. Don’t use the peppers themselves – unless you like it REALLY spicy – but just scoop out the sauce and save the peppers for another purpose. (The peppers actually freeze well and can be stored for a few months.) Add more or less adobo sauce to taste, depending on how hot you want it. A little avocado to cut the heat, a few pickled jalapenos for flavor, and boom. Your late night party meets a morning of total happiness.
Go ahead, add a breakfast margarita if you insist.
Hangover? What hangover?
From your friendly Ready To Yumble crew, we wish you all a very happy New Year…and a breakfast to make 2017 your best year yet!
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce, from one can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (use less if you want a milder flavor, or more if you want it super saucy)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 medium flour tortillas
- 4 oz. shredded cheese (try Oaxaca or Monterrey Jack)
- 3 strips bacon, cooked until crisp, then chopped
- ¼ cup sliced avocado
- ¼ cup chopped tomato
- Handful chopped cilantro
- Sprinkle of chopped onion
- Place sour cream and adobo sauce in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Place in a small bowl, or if you want to be fancy, pour into a plastic squeezy bottle. Set aside.
- Heat a small saucepan on the stove over medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the eggs, red onion, cilantro, and adobo sauce. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Scramble together until cooked through. Remove egg from pan.
- Place one tortilla in the bottom of the same pan. Spread scrambled egg over the tortilla. Top with chopped bacon and shredded cheese. Place the second tortilla on top.
- Cook over medium heat until bottom tortilla has started to brown. Flip with a large spatula and cook until the other side has also started to brown and the cheese is melted inside.
- Top quesadilla with Chipotle Sour Cream and your favorite toppings. I recommend sliced avocado, chopped tomato, cilantro, and a little chopped onion.
If it seems like a reasonable hour (no judgment), pair that Breakfast Quesadilla with a Grapefruit Margarita for a complete brunch spread!